Re: antimatter

The experiment that was inconclusive was the preliminary experiment
with electrons. There were fields generated by "patch" effects in
the copper walls that caused systematic problems. There still is no
adequate positron source with low enough energies (milli electron
volts) to do the positron experiment.

William J. Larson <Bill_Larson@compuserve.com> wrote:

I'm not aware of experimental evidenve of the gravitational properties
of antimatter. Since gravity is so weak this is a very hard experiment
to do. Has it been done and I missed it?

Yes, it has. Jim Lockhart and Bill Fairbank did this experiment at
Stanford in
the mid-1970s. The positrons fall down, not up.

Roger A. Freedman

I memory serves me correctly, the Stanford experiment was
inconclusive owing to induced currents in the superconducting walls of the
chamber.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936

Paul Zitzewitz, Professor of Physics
Department of Natural Sciences
University of Michigan-Dearborn
4901 Evergreen Rd