Re: Circular orbits, and other stuff

I've heard that highly elliptical planetary systems are also scarce
(non-existent?) due to instabilities caused by orbit crossing. Precession
of an elliptical orbit will eventually cause a significant perturbation
that is usually destructive. There are lots of simulations available for
studying these things. Newton's Aquarium is one that comes to mind for the
Mac.

I have another question for those who teach astronomy. The first question
(how is solar spinning angular momentum transferred to the revolving planets
via magnetic forces?) was not answered. I assume it is not a simple topic.

See below. It is not a simple topic, but it is sort of a nontopic.

This question has to do with the fact that planetary orbits are often
nearly circular. The same is true for numerous moons and rings. Kepler's
laws would not be violated if eccentricities of planetary orbits were
very large. Why are most orbits nearly circular?

Tidal dissipation is strongest near periapse, and energy lost
near periapse tends to circularize an orbit.

How do elipticities change when the spin of our Sun is being transferred to
planets?

The Sun has negligible angular momentum, so the question is
not really relevant to the solar system.

Leigh

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936