Re: Explaining

In a message dated 98-02-20 12:34:00 EST, Bob Sciamanda writes:

<< At the introductory level, I also "derive" the ideal gas equation by
specifying N/3 point molecules travelling with the RMS velocity in
each of the three Cartesian directions. (A commonly exploited
simplification - and illumination).

Bob,

I have no objection to using simple models. My response to this post was more
to the origional poster, from a different thread, that I misplaced. Thanks to
Leigh, I was able to respond anyway.

As I recall, it dealt with the student misconception that resistor heating was
a result of electrons losing kinetic energy. I was simply trying to explain
that while this may be a misconception if you stick to a certain model, it may
be a valid consequence with another model. How is it then possible to say if
the student's response was a misconception, or if they may have given more
detailed thought to the problem? Only by communicating with the student I
presume.

Bob Carlson