Re: Curvature of Space

I like your last question, because that is more to the point of the
experiment I envision, that is passing light through a very large field
gradient.

cheers

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Leigh Palmer wrote:

A question came up in conversation for which I did not have the anwswer,
and being to lazy look for it I thought I would turn to phys-l for some
help.
We know that light is deviated by large masses...as I recall the first
observation being deviation of the angle between two stars when the sun
was interposed and when it was not. One way of thinking about that is
that light is deviated by a strong graviational field. The question I
was asked, would light also be deviated by a strong electric field, and
if it would has anyone ever tried to observe the effect.

Think about the question "In which direction would I expect light to
be deflected by an electric field?" I can't come up with an answer to
that question, so I would be very surprised to find that it could be
deflected. Nonetheless, if deflection is ever observed, I'm prepared
emotionally to incorporate it into my *Weltanschauung*, but I believe
the answers to your questions are "No" and "No", though the second
answer would be difficult to verify.

I'll ask a related question. Could light be deflected in an electric
field gradient?

Leigh