Re: misconception bu omission

*Perhaps* Bob is complaining about using a continuous function to
describe what has to be a discrete (quantized) process. The decay scenario
can be easily simulated with a simple computer program to show the
transition from 'nearly' exponential decay when there are 'many' nuclei, to
the step-wise decay when only a few remain. The same applies to the flow of
quantized charges.

I can follow Dave's example and say, "look in the archives, about two
years ago" because this did come up. But knowing how busy people are
I will be willing to summarize the essence of what was stated. But my
time is also valuable. So please explain clearly what bothers you about
the exponential models and what is so absurd about them. Perhaps I do not
understand you and what I am about ready to type will be a waste of time.

Ludwik Kowalski
Bob's message, untouched, follows the asterisks.
I have yet to notice (i have not made a systematic search) a text which
analyzes - or even notices - the patently absurd assertion of our
exponential models of capacitive discharge, radioactive transmutation, et=
c.
It is a real eye opener to even the most blas=E9 students, and a hard hit=
ting
lesson in the nature of our models and their usefulness, as opposed to
philosophical "truthfulness".

Looking at a wider context, perhaps more misconceptions (and just lacuna)
are wrought by omission, than by overt commission.

-Bob

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936