Re: Apparent weight

If we agree to accept scale readings as the definition of weight then it
seems to me that weight is a peculiar animal and one that is not commonly
accepted anywhere. I am not ready to pass off this definition to my
students. If I am somehow missing the point, please straighten me out.

As I said, weight is not intrinsic to a mass. It depends upon frame
of reference. I was surprised to learn in this group that this is
news to some physics teachers.

My recommendation is to avoid using the term weight. It is a difficult
choice, however, because it permiates most of our textbooks. The terms
gravitational force and normal force allow for more clarity.

The US Navy was responsible for introducing one of the most annoying
new conventions of all, negative polarity current, during the second
world war. The justification was that it was more sensible because
vacuum tubes were such important devices.

Just look at how far seeing they were! Perhaps next the Navy will
free us of the concept of weight in preparation for our weightless
lives in the twenty-fifth century.

Leigh