Re: Misconceptions

I agree. The latest version of the list has brought some questions to mind
(mostly because of my own ignorance), but before I start a myriad of
discussions for each one I wonder about, I like to see what Rick suggests.
Let the orginal contributers clarify details and reference proof.

I think we need to step back for a minute and examine the purpose of
Ludwik's list. If the intent was to produce a definitive list of textbook
misconceptions--that isn't happening. One person's misconception (at the
graduate level) is defensible 'good' physics at the high-school level
(gravity and the shuttle). The 'partial' misconceptions are wide open to
interpretation--greenhouse effect for example: The transparent/opaque
effect is there, just not primarily responsible for the temperature rise in
a real, terrestrial greenhouse. Some stated misconceptions are maybe not
even really wrong.

The exercise IS valuable in that it is getting us all to think about these
things, but:

1) The items SHOULD be stated as the misconception actually presented in
the books accompanied by a statement of what's wrong.

2) They should be referenced--else we have simple hearsay (which might
start another Media feeding frenzy).

3) We should then all feel free to either further attack OR defend the
suggested 'misconception' (as some have already begun to do).

Rick

R. Allen Shotwell
Chair, Science and Math
Ivy Tech State College