REPLY TO ALL. text misconceptions

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:26:54 -0500
From: Bob Sciamanda <trebor@velocity.net>
Subject: Correct statements to replace text mis-representations
To: Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskil@alpha.montclair.edu>

I did not receive a message from you on mis-representations. So I do not
know what to replace. For the time being I simply appended your item below.
Perhaps it will be discussed. Perhaps you will be able to shorten it.

Ludwik Kowalski

Can somebody with more time take the task of coordinating the list of
misconceptions from me? I will be forced to switch to the "one day a week"
mode of operation. Will continue in the "intensive mode" till Sunday.

If, in a given Lorentz frame, a closed circuit of conductors is stationary
and there is no Q or partial dB/dt source producing an E field acting on the
conductors' carriers, there can be no induced current in the circuit. The
"cutting of magnetic field lines" or the "change in enclosed magnetic flux"
or "the motion of a conductor relative to magnetic field lines" can be
confused and not always useful criteria for the existence (or not) of an
induced current in a circuit.

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html