Re: Simple expanations. was what are the labs for

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 15:30:22 -0700
From: "Dewey Dykstra, Jr." <dykstrad@bsumail.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Simple explanations. Was: what are the labs for?

.... In what sense is a mathematical explanation really an explanation?

Here is what Michael Faraday (in letter to Ampere, 1822) wrote about
physics without advanced math.

I am unfortunate in [that I lack] mathematical knowledge, and the powers
of entering with facility in abstract reasoning ... [this] chains me down,
and I cannot help now and then comparing myself to a timid navigator who,
though he might boldly and safely steer across the bay or an ocean by the
aid of a compass ... is afraid to leave sight of the shore because he
understands not the power of instrument that is to guide him.