Re: Simple expanations. was what are the labs for

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 15:30:22 -0700
From: "Dewey Dykstra, Jr." <dykstrad@bsumail.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Simple explanations. Was: what are the labs for?

.... In what sense is a mathematical explanation really an explanation?

That is a good question. I would say that mathematics is only a language
of physics, not the essence of physics. Physics would be very different
if it were based only on arithmetic (which can be exluded for the math
in this context) but it would be impossibe without labs. We must think
physics while we are doing math.

I know I did not answer your question, Dewey, I hope somebody will.

Ludwik Kowalski