Re: Simple explanations. Was: what are the labs for?

The question of content versus concepts versus math level versus problem
solving all catered to a particular audience is a complex one and one that
our department (a Chemistry and Physics department, but no Physics majors)
is currently wrestling with. We have a combined two semester Algebra based
course for both Chem and Bio students with a third semester Calculus
(intensive) course for many (but not all) of the Chem majors. The Bio
majors (mostly pre-med) are clamoring for a Calculus based course which we
would be more than happy to provide for our Chem majors (manpower and
enrollment forced the collapse into one course a few years ago) but the
group as a whole has a hard enough time at the Algebra level. The premeds
are in the physics course to prepare for MCATs, the Chem majors need a
certain range of CONTENT for their physical-chemistry and instrumentation
courses, problem solving skills are weak, conceptual understanding is weak,
reading skills are weak and we only have a finite time to work on all of
this (from 14 Semester hours previously to 8-12 now). My initial response
to Donald's question was based more on a frustration concerning the desire
to do more of this kind of inquiry but having a strong recognition that
there is not enough time to do so and that very few students would see such
as a worthwhile pursuit since they themselves have other priorities for
their physics education -- whether misdirected or not.

There's no real problem with this institution in these matters, the concerns
are universal. As colleges and Universities get more students who are
deficient in basic skills (math, reading, critical thinking), as the
arguments of people like Dewey about the state of conceptual understanding
are taken seriously (we do), as those we 'service' with our courses
(rightfully) request certain content and skills, the time for 'brain candy'
(as someone put it) becomes preciously scant. Fold this together with an
increasing 'consumer' attitude by students, and you can start to understand
the frustrations.

Your High School class is still largely untainted and a fine place to do
such conceptual work. If you'll send all your superbly trained students
here, then I won't have the problems stated above. ;-)

Rick
Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE AVAILABLE AT
http://estel.uindy.edu/inaapt/rickt/software

Network capable versions of some software now
available.