Re: A question about Calc-based physics content

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:39:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Joseph Bellina <jbellina@SAINTMARYS.EDU>
To: Teaching Physics <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Subject: A question about Calc-based physics content

I need some information from those folks who teach two
semester calculus based physics course for chemistry and
biology majors. But first a little background....

For several years we have been teaching a three semester
spiral design in which we do two semesters of algebra
based physics, emphasizing concepts and problem solving,
and avoiding extensive discussion of those topics which
might better be taught using the calculus, such as 3D
electricity and magnetism. Then in the third semester we
revisit the physics using the calculus in the classroom
and a variety of numerical techniques in the laboratory.
These classes meet for 3 fifty minute periods and 1 two
hour lab each week of a fourteen week semester. Normally
the biology majors take two semesters, and the chemistry
majors take the third, thereby getting the experience
using calculus, spreadsheet modeling, etc.

There has been pressure from the outside, MCAT and
graduate schools to provide a calculus based course in
physics for the biology majors. I believe it is
administrator's simple minded way of avoiding what is
perceived as a dumbing down of the algebra based course in
some schools, since from what I can tell, there is no call
for calculus in the MCAT. We would have to survey physics
with calculus in two semesters, since that is all the time
the biology curriculum allows. Some of our chemists say
that they just had two semesters of calc based physics,
and it worked fine.

The question then is how to do it well. One solution is
to keep doing what we have been doing, insert some ideas
from calculus in our discussion of motion, and call it a
calc-based course. I'm not too happy with such a facade.
The other solution is to cut topics which are not needed
by the chem or bio majors, or might be covered in physical
chemistry. The situation is, of course, complicated by
the "less-is-more" thinking associated with developing
good conceptual understanding in an active classroom.

At last to the question,
1) If you teach such a course, what strategy do you use,
and how well does it work?

2) Do you leave out material that you know will be covered
by others, thermo would be a good example, since it is
done in physical chemistry?

3) How seriously do you use the calculus in your course?

4) What do you generally leave out, and what do you
emphasize.

The information you provide will provide some guidance.
If there is interest in the result I will be glad to
supply a compendium of the results.

Thanks for your help.

joe bellina
Saint Mary's College...the one in South Bend, IN.

We require a calculus pre- or co- requisite, and try to extend the
notions from calculus class in ways applicable to
chemistry, physics, and biology. We try to talk about
velocity and accelerations when they are learning about the
derivative. We try to talk about harmonic motion when they
are learning about integrals. We do some serious integrals
in the second semester of the course (calculating
electric and magnetic fields). How can you do those
problems without calculus? I have never figured it out?
WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr