A question about Calc-based physics content

I need some information from those folks who teach two semester calculus
based physics course for chemistry and biology majors. But first a
little background....

For several years we have been teaching a three semester spiral design in
which we do two semesters of algebra based physics, emphasizing concepts
and problem solving, and avoiding extensive discussion of those topics
which might better be taught using the calculus, such as 3D electricity
and magnetism. Then in the third semester we revisit the physics using
the calculus in the classroom and a variety of numerical techniques in
the laboratory. These classes meet for 3 fifty minute periods and 1 two
hour lab each week of a fourteen week semester. Normally the biology
majors take two semesters, and the chemistry majors take the third,
thereby getting the experience using calculus, spreadsheet modeling, etc.

There has been pressure from the outside, MCAT and graduate schools to
provide a calculus based course in physics for the biology majors. I
believe it is administrator's simple minded way of avoiding what is
perceived as a dumbing down of the algebra based course in some schools,
since from what I can tell, there is no call for calculus in the MCAT.
We would have to survey physics with calculus in two semesters, since
that is all the time the biology curriculum allows. Some of our chemists
say that they just had two semesters of calc based physics, and it worked
fine.

The question then is how to do it well. One solution is to keep doing
what we have been doing, insert some ideas from calculus in our
discussion of motion, and call it a calc-based course. I'm not too happy
with such a facade. The other solution is to cut topics which are not
needed by the chem or bio majors, or might be covered in physical
chemistry. The situation is, of course, complicated by the
"less-is-more" thinking associated with developing good conceptual
understanding in an active classroom.

At last to the question,
1) If you teach such a course, what strategy do you use, and how well
does it work?

2) Do you leave out material that you know will be covered by others,
thermo would be a good example, since it is done in physical chemistry?

3) How seriously do you use the calculus in your course?

4) What do you generally leave out, and what do you emphasize.

The information you provide will provide some guidance. If there is
interest in the result I will be glad to supply a compendium of the results.

Thanks for your help.

joe bellina
Saint Mary's College...the one in South Bend, IN.