Re: Team Teaching Physics Labs

I have been doing that this semester with a reformed physics for
teachers program. I have a former student as assistant in addition to
a working teacher from a local school. If you do inquiry-based
activities, this is essential. My class (with only 25 students) would
be unmanageable by myself. Further, especially if you pay attention
to the genders of your team members, this seems to make female
students a lot more willing to speak up and raise questions.

I base this on a grand total of 3 class meetings. Opinions are under
further development but I think overall it is a positive idea.

If I may I would like a very brief survey with answers sent to me rather
than the list.

I would like to know how many of you have more than one person involved
simultaneously in teaching your lab sections i.e. team teaching or
cooperative teaching. We are looking at the possibility of having an
undergraduate peer coach join forces with a TA for each lab section.

Thanks,

--
Jerry Hester

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227