Re: Phone charges for internet

Sorry to be such a wet blanket, but maybe we ought to entertain, just for
a moment, the notion that the phone companies have a point. As much as I
might regret not being able to make a free local phone call to the
University and then camp out on that phone line for the rest of time, I
must say that I am not without a certain amount of sympathy for the phone
companies' point of view on this matter. And to suggest that their
response is motivated by nothing more than innate evil strikes me as a
little disingenuous.

John

There is a very important matter currently under review by the FCC
(Federal Communications Commission). Your local telephone company has
filed a proposal with the FCC to impose a per minute charge for your
internet services. They contend that your usage will hinder operation of
the telephone network.

The FCC has created an E-mail address for your comments. They must be
received by February 13, 1998.

Send your comments and concerns to isp@fcc.gov and tell them what you
think. Every phone company in the nation is in on this collusive deal.
They are trying to sneak it under the wire without litigation.

Tell everyone you know who uses the Internet to send a protest. It is
your Internet, not that of the phone company.

A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223