Re: phase vs group vel.

Several others have already responded to this request but I'll add my own
URL for some quicktime movies of wave packets moving with various
combinations of phase and group velocity.

http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm/myweb/animations/packets.html

I confess; they are only Maple simulations. However, if I look hard
enough, I can almost imagine that I see a 39 degree bow shock forming in
one of them.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223