From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@SNOW.EDU>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Wednesday, January 14, 1998 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: Simulations

At 10:33 PM -0400 1/13/98, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:
In this particular case, Larry, the situation is not in the lack of an
agreement. Most science teachers would agree that having one common
simple language would be desirable.

I'm not sure I'm one of them (and I teach Gen-Ed Intro-type Computer
Science classes on occasion).

Would most humanities and social science teachers agree that having one
common simple language would be desirable? If so, would it be the same one
the science teachers want?
In other words, is one language ideally suited for all applications (even
if we limit the discussion to undergrad students)?

How about this for an argument (for the sake of argument)?:
If one simple computer language were clearly superior to all the rest,
natural selection would dictate that over time it _would_ become the
dominant language. It would just happen. Good argument, huh?

Counter argument: clearly the dominant desktop operating system is not
anywhere near the best.

So, on the other hand, I'm _not_ sure I'm _not_ one of them. :-)

But I worry. Doesn't standardization (in all arenas) stifle innovation?
What if we all settle on one great language and teach it to all our
students for 7 years and then a _better_ one comes along?

Larry