Testbank

Vernon,

We've been developing a very powerful database homework delivery system at
NC State. It currently contains more than 5500 problems. We've had great
cooperation from the big publishers, so we've got problems (with graphics)
from Halliday, Resnick, & Walker along with Serway and also some from
Giancoli. We also have about 1600 of our own problems plus our
research-based assessment instruments. Aaron Titus (my grad student) and
Larry Martin (visiting with us from North Park) are the developers and you
can contact them directly at titus@unity.ncsu.edu. Aaron has been using the
web to deliver video and animation-based questions in order to ascertain
their impact on student learning.

Of course, teachers can also enter their own questions which can include
movies, java applets, etc. We are still working on cleaning up the user
interface, but it is quite useable in its current form. The best thing is
that it works. We've used it with nearly 3,000 students, managing over
40,000 homework submissions. Because the system works so well, we are able
to give smaller assignments, but have them due 3 times per week. The
students actually say that they like getting homework more often because
then they can't get behind.

Bob Beichner
NC State Physics
Beichner@NCSU.edu