Re: Re[2]: Scientist of the Millennium?

At 00:15 1/8/98 +0100, you wrote:
... the inventor of the transistor: Bardeen, Brattain and...
(I always forget it) Shockley?

msantos@etse.urv.es

Though I marvel at the reliability, value, miniature size and
ubiquity of this component, I am forced to suggest that if
B, B and S were meritorious enough to collect a Nobel solely
on account of it - then DeForest was certainly in the same class.

From an inauspicious start as a neglected observation of Edison's,
the thermionic diode was applied successfully by Fleming to the
radio amplitude detector requirement.
From this point, was a very fast development that led DeForest
to the Audion (thermionic tride).

By contrast, the analogous cat's whisker was lying around for decades
(Perhaps 4) before the penny finally dropped about applying a
third electrode.
The analogy was just SO plain - and so available to any school
boy on up, it should have been discovered way sooner.

I know: easy for me to say...

Sincerely

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK