Re: #6: WOMEN'S WAYS OF KNOWING (final excerpt!)

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Dewey Dykstra, Jr. wrote:
beyond the attitudes and belief systems which determine and justify the
practice of science teaching as-it-is.
I suspect there's not a lot of others commenting on this thread or any
other because of the season and the AAPT meeting. I hope they all enjoy

I am very much enjoying this exchange. Thoughtful and reasoned on both
sides. Exchanges like this help...

I would like to bring back the parallel's drawn between sports and
science. Consultants I have spoken & dealt with that have run surveys for
the sake of large fund raising projects (at the high school level
especially) have indicated that there is much greater likelihood of
having donations to assist in athletic facilities (using surveys
they have honed) than science facilities. This is true for a private
school with more than half of the parents having M.D.'s and Ph.D.'s!

(1)
Why does sports, which serves an VERY small fraction of elites (relative
to physics, engineering & science) generate such tremendous loyalty?
(2)
How is it that (given the overwhelming grade inflation in the athletic
courses and the huge number of couch potatoes) the U.S. has so many
world class athletes?

It is quite exciting for me to have access to the exchanges of
superstars like Mark & Dewey! (There are many others out there as well!)

Tim Burgess

Timothy C. Burgess, Ph.D.
Chair of the Science Department
UMS-Wright Preparatory School
65 North Mobile Street
Mobile, Alabama 36607 Home: (334)-432-3024

E-mail: tburgess@jaguar1.usouthal.edu