maple animation in acoustics class

I've put a web page on my web site (below) for PH 404 Acoustics,
which I'm teaching at the moment.

One item of interest is the animation of a pulse traveling along a
string fixed at both ends ( it's very obedient, flipping over at each
end).

After putting it up, I decided to have the students in the course, as
a take-home problem for Exam 1, figure out how to modify the Maple
code to carry out the animation for a string fixed at one end and
free at the other.

They could see how I had done all the coefficients in the maple code,
and their job became how to modify things so the animation behaved
right!

After some coaching about how one must use different functions for
the expansion, 5 of 7 got it to run. (And they may have made fewer
mistakes along the way than I did. My first try was 2 pulses at t=0,
and my second try split into two pulses of unequal heights going in
opposite directions! ) One fun thing is that no one has to tell you
when you get it right.

Comments, or similar activities being done?

--

Mike

Mike Moloney
moloney@nextwork.rose-hulman.edu
Dept of Physics & Applied Optics (812) 877 8302
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Terre Haute, IN 47803
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~moloney