Re: pronunciation of Principia -Reply

Donald,
It is curious that you would pick Halley, the editor of the
Principia whose name has been involved in a controversy as to how you
pronounce it.
Will this ever end?

Souldn't we really ask how Newton himself, and his contemporaries would
have pronounced it? I suppose that may be as difficult as finding out how
Edmond Halley (of comet fame, a contemporary of Newton) pronounced it. In
view of the fact that in correspondence these folks didn't even spell
their own names consistently, one wonders how consistent was the
pronunciation then.

Gary
Gary Karshner

St. Mary's University