Re: Air resistance

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, brian whatcott wrote:

I am rather more critical - I assert that no matter how far the data
acquisition is extended, you will not determine "n" with any precision
using the present method, because it is not expressible as a constant
with this method.

For the record, fundamentally, I agree with brian here. Aerodynamic drag
is *very* complicated. It is certainly misleading to describe it as a
"power law of velocity" and then patch it up with a velocity-*dependent*
drag coefficient as must be done if one wishes actually to express the
functional form of the drforce ag with any precision over a range of
velocities.

On the other hand, I suspect that the velocity-dependence of the drag
coefficient tends to be rather moderate over most velocity intervals
unless they happen to include transitions from viscous to dynamic drag or
other types of "drag crises" (as mentioned in the paper referred to by
Wolfgang Rueckner). As a result, I'd still expect to get a pretty
reasonable fit with a power law like v^2.2, for instance, if the drag was
predominantly "dynamic" (i.e., n=2) in nature over the region of interest,
but the drag coefficient was slowly increasing with v.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223