Re: Air resistance

At 12:23 12/13/97 -0800, you wrote:

The data are not as good as we would like them to be but how can they be
so bad?

Just to reiterate, the data are not at *all* bad. But the fact remains
that they don't *begin* to be sufficient to determine "n" with any
precision. This is primarily because the data are taken over far too
limited a range of velocities.
A. John Mallinckrodt

I am rather more critical - I assert that no matter how far the data
acquisition is extended, you will not determine "n" with any precision
using the present method, because it is not expressible as a constant
with this method.
You gain one CERTAIN datum - the resistance at terminal speed.

The current method makes an unwarranted assumption as to the
shape of the resistance curve - that it involves some constant power
law; and it has previously been noted that you cannot rely on this.

I think it may have been John who previously noted that fluid dynamics
is a complex topic. If you take the aeronautical approach of expecting
drag to grow as V squared, you need to provide a variable coefficient
of drag to account for the complexities of fluid flow variation at
different speeds, otherwise, the exponent will vary with speed.

That's why I think the bicycle shop at Dayton did rather better at
deriving values for drag than you gentlemen - though their
instrumentation was not superior; they held more experimental variables
constant and assumed less by their choice of a wind-tunnel as their
experimental tool!

Sincerely
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK