Hiroshima...No Sound?

The freshman English classes are reading the book "Hiroshima" about the
events surrounding August 6th 1945. In the spirit of "Interdisciplinary
Education" I've been invited to speak to the classes briefly as a
"technical expert." I expect I'll mostly answer some of their questions.

The book mentions something about people seeing the blast but hearing no
sound. I do not know the details of what is actually said; but, I expect
to be asked about it.

Is this a real phenomenon? I seem to remember hearing this discussed
before--perhaps on this list. A brief look through reference materials
and the Internet has turned up nothing.Could this be a refraction effect
caused by heating from the blast? Anyone know about this?

Dave

--
* David Simmons St. John's Jesuit High School *
* 5901 Airport Hwy Toledo OH 43615 *