Re: acceleration

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

I do not recall how air resistance is calculated for a "round object"
in IP. Do they assume it is sphere? Or a cylinder of unit length?

IP simply models air resistance (whether linear or quadratic) as being
proportional to the cross sectional "area" of the object in the direction
of motion. (Of course, since IP models a two-dimensional world, the cross
sectional "area" is really a linear dimension.) That's a hard enough
calculation and I'm not positive that it does it correctly in the case of
complex shaped polygons. Beyond that, however, no allowance is made for
aerodynamic shape.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223