Re: Induction and moving rod on a U-shaped conductor

I like to visualize the electric field in a moving conductor as a smooth
gradient which will support a current if connected to a stationary return
path, but which will exhibit the field regardless (i.e. beyond the 'rails'
the field in the rod survives...)
I am uncomfortable with the conceptual model of electrons or charge
'piling up'. The force due to a very minor difference in electron
density is considerable.
Brian

Bruce Sherwood and Ruth Chabay in their very interesting
approach to teaching E&M (Electrical and Magnetic Interactions,
Wiley), present a surface charge model - current flows in a wire
because a gradient of surface charge creates an electric field inside
the wire. For ordinary fields they assert that the surface charge
is the result of a shift by the electron sea of a fraction of an
atomic diameter. Therefore, as much as it appeals to us as an image,
we can't really say that electrons are piling up. In a resistive
wire of constant cross section there is a steady gradient of surface
charge, and the field itself is constant along the length of the wire.

When a conducting rod is moving in a uniform magnetic field (rod,
magnetic field, velocity mutually perpendicular) charge
accumulation establish at the ends of the rod.

Thus I'm not sure that we can say that charge accumulates at the ends
of the rod.

Gary Hemminger
Dwight-Engelwood School
315 E. Palisade Ave.