Re: That jerk again!

Leigh Palmer wrote:
Bob Sciamanda wrote:
The immediate effect of applying the brake is to forbid the forward and
rotational motion of the wheel-axle system; the body however will
continue its forward motion until it is brought to rest by the damped,
elastic suspension system which connects it to the wheel-axle system.
The body then moves back as the stressed (ideally, critically damped)
suspension system relaxes.

I presume the wheels to be stationary at the time I apply the brakes.
I can't see them, but they "feel" stopped. I presume the body stops
when the wheels stop under these circumstances. Some of the assumptions
could be incorrect, of course.

Leigh
Your brakes cannot directly stop the body, they only stop the wheel-axle
system. The body is stopped by 1)the suspension system which links it to
the wheel-axle system, and 2)air friction - nothing else that I can see
in the picture can exert a force DIRECTLY on the body (unless you drag
your feet on the ground and hold on tight!).
--

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net

St. Augustine (354-430):
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians,
and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger
already exists that the mathematicians have made a
covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to
confine man in the bonds of Hell.