Re: That jerk again!

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Leigh Palmer wrote:

What's happening here? There is no discontinuity in velocity,
but when I apply the brake there is a discontinuity in the
acceleration. Of course the car is in equilibrium in an
accelerated frame while it slows, but I can't believe that is
the cause (the rapid change to a nonaccelerating frame)
because the acceleration can vary a great deal and the
subjective discontinuity does not seem to do so.

It is probably due to the brake pads grabbing at slightly different times
which would exert a torque on the vehicle causing it to jerk. At slow
speeds, this would be more noticable too.
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059