From: Dr. William Newbolt
To: QuistO; RAUBERJ; phys-l
Subject: Stupid Question related to Bohr Theory
Date: Tuesday, November 18, 1997 3:54PM

Gang:
Do any of you know if our earth-sun system is a source of
gravitational waves? I am trying to think about this
system like a Bohr atom. It seems like the radius of the
first Bohr Orbit is impossibly small so it seems unlikely
that the earth is in the ground state. Also, the first
Bohr orbit is probably smaller than the Schwarzschildt
Radius. I know that the radiation rate would be very
small, but I would really like to know if, conceptually at
least this system is radiating away energy. Does any one
know? WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr
------------------------- Original message header:
MAIL FROM:<owner-phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
RCPT TO:<RAUBERJ@mg.sdstate.edu>