Re: Ohne die Arbeit, part 3 (Long & wordy)

John Mallinckrodt wrote:
. . .
I have carefully reread your derivation and I still see what I saw
before--the standard intermediate mechanics approach of reducing the two
body problem to an isomorphic, extended MET treatable one body problem

My introduction to part 1 clearly stated that this is a review; there
is nothing new here.

where the body has a different mass than either M1 or M2 and moves about a
fixed point in space with a different radius than either M1 or M2 followed
by the *interpretation* of the result as describing the location of M1
relative to M2 rather than relative to an inertial frame as would be
required by the MET/PET.

Are you saying it is forbidden to use the MET in this way? I simply
used a traditional method to attack a problem which was ostensibly not
suited to the MET (because I was asking for the relative displacement
R), by showing that the desired quantity R is also the solution of a
different, MET solvable problem. Why not?

However, in thinking about your words, another thought occurred to me. I
now see that the external force on M1 *is* in fact a conservative force
(as long as one restricts the analysis to the CM frame and does not allow
any other external forces to act on either M1 or M2.) So one really *can*
look at M1 as the system and proceed as follows:

First, write the force on M1 as a pure function of R1. That is, for the
force law F(|R|), substitute the equivalent force law

F~(|R1|) = F( |R1|*(1 + M1/M2) ).

Now we have

M1*R1'' = F~(|R1|)

and since F~(|R1|) is a conservative force, we can define a potential
energy function U~(|R1|) and proceed with the extended MET analysis. The
result gives us, directly, the behavior of R1.

Bravo! It will come to an equivalent result.

Frankly, however, I don't think I'd consider either approach suitable for
use in an introductory course.

Agreed! I only brought up this example to soften your testimony to the
uselessness of the MET:

> As Bob was careful to note, this can be done only when one or more of
> the external forces is a function only of the system CM position.
> I can think of only two situations in which this can be the case:
> 1) the system is a point particle or a rigid, non-rotating body
> that behaves like a point particle (in which case the extended
> MET/PET reduces to its most elementary form) or 2) the force is
> constant.
>
> Using the extended MET/PET we can do roller coaster problems (as
> long as we can ignore the minor up and down motions of the earth
> that result from its interaction with the roller coaster), but we
> cannot perform any significant analysis of the interaction of two
> or more large gravitating masses.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223

-Bob
--
Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net