Re: Tarski (complete and consistent?)

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:37:08 -0500
From: Chuck Britton <britton@odie.ncssm.edu>

twayburn@juno.com (Thomas L Wayburn) quotes:

If the axiom system of a deductive theory is complete, and if any
sentence which can be formulated but not proved within that theory is
added to the system, then the axiom system extended in this manner is no
longer consistent. - Tarski, Alfred, *Introduction to Logic ...*, Oxford,
New York (1994), p. 133.

And anyone who is 'into' axiomatic mathematics needs to read up on the
Banach-Tarksi results that clearly show that our current understanding of
differential calculus leads to the result that a shperical set of points
with size equal to the sun can be dissected into a finite number of subsets
that can be reassembled into a sphere the size of a pea (or any other size)
with no points left out, overlapping etc.

Banach-Tarski is purely topological. In fact, it *cannot* be done
differentiably, and that's one of the major reasons we prefer smooth things
to those that are merely continuous. (Another fine example is the existence
of space-filling curves; they can't be smooth either.)

Phil Parker pparker@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu
Random quote for this second:
But in modern war...you will die like a dog for no good
reason.---Ernest Hemingway