Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers

At 09:58 AM 11/12/97 EST, Paul Camp wrote:

In many places (like, for instance, here) being a "guide on the side"
in itself makes you a target. The complaint is that you didn't
"teach" because you didn't talk or give lots of notes to write down.
One student last year commented to my dean that he didn't pay all
that money to have to teach himself.

A thread I recall from the most recent Chairs' conference is that often
when good, current pedagogy is adopted student evaluations suffer -
largely for the
"reason" cited here.

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "I can explain it for you, *
P.O. Box 5005 * *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * I can't understand it for you." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Anonymous *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html