Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers

Whether one subscribes to the full philosophy or not, I think that
this is one of the strengths of many of the tools in the
constructivist armoury, for example:
- pretesting students to work out a baseline on prior knowledge &
conceptual understanding (& expectations) in a lecture group,
so that the lecturer has the confidence to know that what is
being taught is "impedance matched" to the students, and
- and teaching styles which enables one to be "the guide on the side"
instead of the would-be "sage on the stage" (& target for everyone's
frustrations!)

Margaret

Dr. Margaret Mazzolini

In many places (like, for instance, here) being a "guide on the side"
in itself makes you a target. The complaint is that you didn't
"teach" because you didn't talk or give lots of notes to write down.
One student last year commented to my dean that he didn't pay all
that money to have to teach himself.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227