Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers of

David's observation "the better one becomes at proving they are doing a
good job, the less incentive they [teachers] have to actually do a better
job" is another example of the uncertainty principle.

I'd elevate it to the status of something like one of the three laws of
psychology in the workplace. Psychology being something that administrators
appear to have little belief in. I also enjoyed David's observation that
the sequence seems to be approaching a limit where more time is spent
"proving" you are doing a good job compared to actually doing the job. My
blood pressure rises for a week each semester when we get back our student
evaluations; and their imagined use in evaluating my performance; and this
is in a small department where my supervisor is next door, (reads this list,
and probably thinks I post to often on it), and knows damn well how good or
bad I am without reading fictitious numbers off of a computer printout sheet
whose relevence is at best highly debatable. Incidently, I don't think the
student evaluations totally irrelevent; they just need to be read and
interpreted by someone who has some *true* knowledge of the situation and
can read in between the lines.

Joel