Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers of ph

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:39:22 -0500
From: "John C. Park" <park@UNITY.NCSU.EDU>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers of
physics?

The answer to your problems is really very simple:

Those who CAN, DO.
Those who CAN'T, TEACH
Those who CAN'T TEACH, TEACH TEACHERS TO TEACH.

Hmmm..... any research evidence for this? Does this include both those who
teach science content and those who teach methods to teachers? :)

John C. Park
Associate Professor of Science Education
North Carolina State University

I think this is getting out of hand. It's true that when
one in talking, it is nice to know what one is talking
about. No one is likely to know all there is to know about
physics. It is helpful to be able to say to students, "I
don't know that answer, but I think I know where to find
out." Sometimes the answer has to be, "Probably no one
has solved this problem -- maybe you can make a career
trying to find the answer in theory, in experiment, or a
combination of the two." WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr