Re: Vertical fall. A paradox?

John's answer and my question, are quoted below the dashed line. I am not
fully satisfied with the answer. Let me add a description of a simple demo
to remove the ambiguity of the term "twisted blades".

1) Take a cork from a champain bottle and turn its wider side down. Drop
it and it falls down along the vertical axis. There is no rotation.
2) With a sharp knife make a "meridional cut" in the cork and insert an
index cart into it. Drop the cork and see it falling without rotation.
The fins are parallel to the axis, the "fin angle" of John is zero.
3) Cut the card (only that part which is above the cork) along the axis.
Bend each half so that its plane is no longer parallel to the corks axis.
The fin angle is 30 to 45 degrees. Looking from the side you would see
the card's profile as a letter Y. Something as below. Drop this "rigid"
object and abserve its spinning. It is clear
\ / that the terminal angular velocity is rapidly
\ / established when the "fins" are large. It can
\ / be measured with a camcorder. If I had time
\ / I would check John's formula against the real
I data. The "mean radius" of the fins can
**I** easilly be calculated for the flat rectangular
**I** card sections.
***** What I would like to know now is the reason for
***** saying that "the fins should slice down through
******* the air without a net torque." The argument that
********* "this is necessary to conserve energy" would not
********* satisfy me in this context.
Ludwik Kowalski

P.S. The left blade above is closer to me than the right blade; do not
forget that the blades were part of a single index card. The direction
of rotation is counter-clock-wise when looking from above.