Re: Query about solar azimuth formula

I hasten to remind that this is not my calculation. It is, as
previously noted, taken from Peter Duffet-Smith's book Practical
Astronomy With Your Calculator.

Your observation is correct but recall that the calculation involves
not the azimuth but the cosine of the azimuth. You have to exercise
some judgement to put it in the right quadrant.

Everybody not into gory details can stop here. The following is a
specific example. Find the altitude and azimuth of a star whose
hour angle is 5h 51m 44s and declination is +23 degrees 13' 10". Your
latitude is 52 degrees north.

H in decimal hours: 5.862222 hours
Convert H to degrees (x15): 87.933333
Convert D to decimal degrees: 23.219444
Find sin A: 0.331080
Find A (inverse sine): 19.334345 degrees
Find cos B: 0.229558
Find B (inverse cosine): 76.728973
Find sin H: 0.999350
If negative, true azimuth is B
If positive, true azimuth is 360-B
Find true azimuth: 283.271027 degrees

Finding sin H tells you whether the star has gone passt the local
meridian or not and so which of the two possible azimuths is correct.

Paul's hour angle explicitly enters the calculation of Sun Altitude.
Sun Altitude enters his azimuth calculation.

The Sun has the same altitude at two azimuths, except at local noon,
so I fancy Paul's azimuth calculation is in error.
But I could be corrected by even a single worked counter-example.
Say latitude N45 deg, t=14 hours, declination = 0?

Humbly
Brian