Re: Work-Energy or Work-Kinetic Energy??

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 22:02:04 -0800 Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca> writes:
Bob,

You have a serious word wrap problem.

Again, I rest my case regarding the confusion generated by
corrupting
the pristine definition of work.

OK Bob, I'll bite. What is the "pristine" definition of work and by
whom was it proclaimed to be so? Which of the meanings of
"pristine"
is intended here?

Leigh

Chill, old man! I knew "pristine" would draw fire as soon as I typed
it!

Then you should have erased it. If you won't tell me what you meant,
please tell me what you meant to mean!

Seriously, please don't drag me into a semantic argument, especially
since
I and the list have chewed this cabbage at length in the very recent
past.
In fact a post of mine laboriously spelled out the conventionaly
accepted
definition of work and the work-energy theorem.

OK then. What is the conventionally accepted definition of work?
Whose convention are you following? Please; I really have no idea
what your definition of work might be.

I still like my definition: Work (in the FLT, at least) is energy
crossing the control surface not mediated by mass and having no effect on
the entropy balance. Work is like entropy-free heat OR, as Summerfeld
says, like heat at infinite temperature. - TLW