Re: Sound and Hearing Workshop

We have particularily good luck measuring the speed of sound using
standing waves in a glass tube closed at one end by an adjustible water
column. I have found it a particluarily good demonstration of the power
of mathematics to make predictions in advance of the actual experiment.

We also have pretty good luck with the formula for the speed of a
mechanical wave in a string to predict the frequency of the vibration that
will produce various standing waves and then verifying the prediction
using a stroboscope to measure the actual frequency.

We do both these experiments as group labs in physical science and
general physics. They can each be done in less than an hour. They are
old classics, but they give consistantly good results.

Joe D. Darling jdarling@emh1.otc.cc.mo.us
Instructor of Physics and Physical Science
Ozarks Technical Community College
1020 East Brower Springfield, MO 65802
(417) 895-7907 (417) 895-7085 FAX