Re: Demo/Hands on...'Scale'

grains of sand in binary sequence (2^0, 2^1, 2^2, etc.)
scale a roll of toilet paper to the solar system (kids love to roll it out)
scale cell structures to your classroom as the cell wall/volume (a BIG
nucleus etc)
iMaybe check out the book that goes with Powers of Ten for ideas or show
the film itself -- longer than 5 min, I'm afraid
Look at Galileo's bone analysis or critique the science fiction movie THEM
(giant ants) to discuss scaling mass and length

Dan M

The 8th graders begin coming to our school for visits next week. We
theme each year and this time it is "Scale". For example we have a 30m
long 'walk through the solar system' showing the relative positions of
the planets. I am supposed to have something in the physics lab--hands
on, self directed, 5 minutes--on scale. I'm drawing a blank. Could I
ask list members to throw out a few ideas?

Could they build something, do something, maybe even learn something?

Thanks

Dave
--
* David Simmons St. John's Jesuit High School *
* 5901 Airport Hwy Toledo OH 43615 *