Re: A Parent's Day gem

I have been away from phys-l while my wife was in the hospital for a
few days. (She is now well into recovery, thanks.) It's sobering to
see that the list can survive without me for awhile. ;-)

At any rate I wanted to respond to a few of the comments that my
remarks on the bullet problem provoked.

Leigh wrote:

I thought John Mallinckrodt's observation about a retarding force
having a greater than first power velocity dependence providing
effective lift to be a revelation here. I'd never heard of such a
thing, but it is obviously true - and significant. It explains for
me why bullets fired from a rifle don't fall with acceleration g.
I have written an authority for information on this topic and I
will, of course, share it when I get it.)

It is always gratifying (and more than a little surprising!) to
teach Leigh something he didn't already know about physics.
However, this result is probably known to most anyone who has
written a numerical simulation of projectile motion. One is
forced in the process specifically to formulate the x and y
components of the drag force and any velocity dependence that is
not linear will end up involving both components of the velocity
in both components of the drag. This serves as a good example of
the insight that can be obtained simply from *writing* simulations
before ever actually *running* them.

Later Leigh wrote:

I think that v-squared dependence is not an issue here. The only issue
is whether the drag term for the vertically falling bullet is less than
the vertical component of drag for the horizontally fired bullet. This
is a question about objects which inevitably fall; they have downward
velocity components despite the brief horizontal motion.

I was thinking about this too. In general, of course, the drag
depends on lot's of things other than velocity and the velocity
dependence alone is only *crudely* modeled over *limited* regimes
by simple power laws. Furthermore, the form of the velocity
dependence will change with angle of attack and, since the angle
of attack generally changes with time ... Well, it's just a very
complicated problem. But the only thing that ultimately matters
here is whether or not the upward force on the fired bullet ends
up being a different function of time than that on the dropped
bullet. All of the foregoing considerations only make me more
confident in predicting that it will be so.

Finally, David Bowman contributed a typically thorough and more
formal analysis of the problem in the oversimplified limit that
I suggested. Thanks David.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223