Microwave Optics Experiments

Recently I have had some students interested in performing interference =
experiements with the microwave optics apparatus in the lab. We have =
gone through units on oscillations, waves, acoustics, and are now doing =
optics. Some of the students had set up the optical Michelson =
interferometer and so I suggested that the students using the microwave =
optics apparatus set up a similar interferometer. They attached leads =
from our data acquistion units, the Pasco 6500 system, to the output of =
the microwave receivers and used a motion detector to obtain the =
position of the movable reflector. A piece of pine board about 1/2" =
thick was used as a beam splitter. The received amplitude versus the =
postion of the movable mirror was plotted and a clear interference =
pattern was observed. However the wavelength turned out to be about 1.2 =
to 1.5 cm. Initially I was not concerned as this indicated a frequency =
of about 20 GHz, definitely in the microwave regime. In trying to =
convince myself that what we were seeing was truly the interference =
effect I tried to block one arm of the interferometer and was unable to =
completely eliminate the supposed interference effect.

I am looking fo some advice on a sure fire method to determine tha =
wavelength of the source so I can distinguish between the expected =
interference patterns and some artifact as yet unexplained. THanks.

*
Brian J. Oliver
Instructor of Physics
Niagara County Community College