Fuel Cells

Fuel cells seem to be a big thing in the news these days. There's the fuel
cells powered by plutonium carried by Cassini, and there's this new scheme
for gas powered electric cars in which gasoline is decomposed to get at the
hydrogen which is then used to power the fuel cells.

Because of the publicity, I would like to bring these up in my general
physics classes. The problem is I don't know how they work. How do you
use the heat or the chemistry to produce electricity? Help.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * "Perhaps the grand all seeing Mandarin
* James S. Marsh * could dig deeply into the vast mine
* Department of Physics * of stategy and disclose
* The University of West Florida * a specific detail?"
* 11000 University Parkway * U Fat's Fables
* Pensacola, FL 32514-5750 *
* *
* (904) 474 2270 *