Kerr Cell

I see that one prescription for making a Kerr cell features
nitrobenzene. It is said to rotate the polarization plane of light
in as little as ten nanosecs (1E-8 sec)

I would like to advocate its use in making straightforward
anti-twinkle cells for telescopes, but I am reluctant to propose
this material. There are certainly others, but I don't know what
they are. I suppose a figure of merit for such liquids would be
rotation angle per (thickness x applied volt x rotation time x cost.)

One might also consider partitioning the aperture of the largest
telescopes and selectively interrupting the path of offset rays.

Can anyone offer suggestions for suitable replacements for
nitrobenzene?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK