Subject: Re: Re[2]: The troubles (revisited)
Author: <phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu > at Internet
Date: 10/21/97 12:22 PM

On Mon, 20 Oct 97 16:37:10 -0500 "Beth Thacker"<thackerb@gvsu.edu>
writes:

I start my inquiry-based physics class with a song called "Think"
sung
by Judy Mowatt (who sang with Bob Marley). I start units on E&M
with
"Electric Boogie" sung by another reggae singer. When I get in
my car
to go home tonight I'll put on a station with hip-hop. I can't
imagine doing aerobics or dancing to classical music. I listen
some kinds of music for the words. There are even some rap songs
that
make very strong social and political statments that should be
heard.
Music reaches into our hearts and souls, not just our minds, and
different beats move different people in different ways. Its all

music.

Music or sports or anything else cannot make you dumb. It
depends how
you use it. It depends on what you use it for...

Beth Thacker
thackerb@gvsu.edu

_________________________________

Hi Beth,

Taking a page from John, how do you know that listening to very dumb
music for long periods of time cannot make some people dumber? I love
that interview with Paul Simon, whose father was a bass player. Paul
admits that his father's criticism of his music was: "It's dumb."

Regards / Tom

P.S. Don't you think that, if we are warned that the popular music is
dumbing down generation after generation, someone ought to take a close
look at the idea? (Incidentally, I forgot, as I was writing my warning,
that many who would read it have been damaged already. If you know how
Elvis sounds but not Charlie Parker, you are too far gone - probably.)