Re: Physics Textbooks and Authors

Herb Gottlieb asked...
Now that the Sears and Zemansky book has been updated by Young, what
is your opinion of the updated version?

What do you mean "updated", Herb? What was obsolete and in need of
"updating"? Many of us feel that new editions of old textbooks in
physics are issued more for the purpose of generating the illusion
that the old edition somehow needs "updating" than because of any
actual need. Usually the problems have been rearranged to render
previous editions inconvenient to use if only problem numbers are
assigned.

I've looked at Young before, but I was not thrilled; it didn't
seem to me that there was a significant improvement. There are
some things that are definite regressive changes (e.g. the loss of
the principle of virtual work about which I've complained before).
I haven't got a current edition, but casual examination
suggests that the unchanged material exceeds 95% of the
content. All new modern textbooks must resemble the
competition as closely as possible. Otherwise
conservative faculty like me will never consider switching texts.
Most new adoptions in this area are made not because a better text
has come along, but rather because the faculty have become
dissatisfied with one or another text and want to try something
(only very slightly) different.

Leigh

I appreciate your candid remarks and agree with everything that you
say about these introductory physics texts. As you know, there are
many books competing for a rather small physics-textbook market.
With very few exceptions, the authors' royalties are somewhere in
the area of 5-15% of the books selling price with the publisher
retaining the remainder for his costs and a small profit. The authors
are doing a great service for physics education but can you name
more than a handful that can earn more than four or five dollars
an hour for their work?

Herb