Re: Today's jaw dropper

At 16:49 10/10/97 EDT, you wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 06:01:50 -0500 brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
writes:

I had a rather fine English teacher, (among many others).
Accordingly, I can recite:

"'Twas brillig and the slithy tove
did gyre and gimbal in the wabe:
all mimsey were the borogroves.
And the mome raths outgabe."

Charles Dodgson
brian whatcott

As much as I love Dodgson, I would really appreciate the full text of the
poem that begins
"'Twas the night of the King's castration
The royal ball was coming off" etc.
By the way, I would be the last man in the world to criticize Dodgson
because he liked to photograph nine-year-old girls - nude.

Regards / Tom

Wayburn provides a doubly apposite example of the dangers of
assuming college professors have something to offer on the ethical
front.
As you may possibly know, Dodgson was a math don at that ivyest
of the ivy league, Oxford. Moreover, as was the custom, he was
ordained.
His work on math and especially logic was outstanding.
His puzzle books are challenging. His fantasias have been best
sellers, almost since the day he wrote them.

But we are entitled to question his motivations in writing
entertainments for young girls, and modelling his Alice and the
rest after them...

Sincerely,

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK