Re: Today's jaw dropper

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 06:01:50 -0500 brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
writes:
At 21:26 10/9/97 -0600, Dewey Dykstra wrote:
David Dockstader says:

I would suggest that one of the most important characteristics of a
good
teacher is enthusiam for the subject....

I'm wondering would a teacher who is enthusiastic about requiring
students
to drill at memorizing nonsense syllables result in students who want
learn nonsense syllables?
Dewey

I had a rather fine English teacher, (among many others).
Accordingly, I can recite:

"'Twas brillig and the slithy tove
did gyre and gimbal in the wabe:
all mimsey were the borogroves.
And the mome raths outgabe."

Charles Dodgson

It is among my sadnesses for lost opportunities, that children
who could learn poems by memory, are usually denied that opportunity
by an unenthusiastic school system.

Sincerely,

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

As much as I love Dodgson, I would really appreciate the full text of the
poem that begins

"'Twas the night of the King's castration
The royal ball was coming off" etc.

By the way, I would be the last man in the world to criticize Dodgson
because he liked to photograph nine-year-old girls - nude.

Regards / Tom