Re: Astronomy Texts

The choice of an astronomy text really depends on how large your
course is - i.e. how many classes - and what level of maths (from
none to lots) you will include, depending on your audience. There
are lots of reasonable books to chose from.
For a one semester, 26 lecture general interest astro. course I have
been using Zeilik's "Conceptual Astronomy". I really like the astro.
approach in it, for my group of mainly biological sci. students,
though the bits where they explain fundamental physics concepts I
like less. I like Michael Seed's book a lot too, but I have trouble
with his "stars first" approach.
The other factor is how recently it's been revised - i.e. does it
have recent Hubble results & pictures in it. Astro. books can date
awfully fast right now! I won't use the Zeilik book again next year
(we have different semester times to you) unless a new edition comes
out.
I also like Kaufmann's "Discovering the Universe" - a bit pricey (the
rep. told me that it costs about $10 more because of the "free" CD!).
It has a lively writing style & presentation, and is more up to date
(though even it could do with updating). The CD has the book on it,
which seems to be a waste of time to me BUT it also has all the
images (full size) incl. many from the Hubble, and a number of good
simulations. I've been using it in lectures this year for most of my
visual material - my library of astro. slides is gathering dust. The
CD also has some multiple choice Q & As, plus links to their web site which is
quite useful.
I've used Abel's Exploration of the Universe in the past, as part of a
longer course (80 lectures). It's quite good, but I've read livelier texts in my
opinion. However it may have a new edition - worth checking out..
Cheers
Margaret

I know many of you teach Astronomy. I've seen a lot of discussion about
physics texts and I'm curious to learn what folks think about intro astronomy
texts.

Dr. Margaret Mazzolini
School of Biophysical Sciences and Electrical Engineering
Swinburne University of Technology
P.O. Box 218,
Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
email: mmazzolini@swin.edu.au
phone: (61 3) 9214 8084 fax: (61 3) 9819 0856